Monday, March 22, 2010

Foreign sex offenders no longer invited to "Visit Korea Year: 2010-2012."

I dunno, here's a thing in the Chosun Ilbo:
The government has reportedly changed its regulations to permanently ban foreigners convicted of sex offenses from entering the country.

In light of a series of brutal sex crimes that have outraged citizens recently, the Ministry of Justice said that a revised bill was put into effect last month prohibiting foreign sex criminals from entering the country.


Of course, none of these "brutal sex crimes" were committed by foreigners. This first made news back in October, following an uproar over a different brutal sex crime:
The Ministry of Justice said Thursday it will revise immigration rules to ban foreigners found guilty of raping Korean children from re-entering Korea permanently.
This is the latest in a series of government measures to keep sexual predators away from society.
If endorsed, it will become the toughest discipline against foreign rapists. The plan was made public during a parliamentary inspection of the ministry held in Gwacheon, Gyeonggi Province.

I titled my post then "Korea to deport foreign pedophiles, to give Korean ones stamp cards" because they were coming out with legislation aimed at phantom foreign pedophiles while Korean ones were getting light jail terms. Last fall, you'll remember, was the "Na-young Incident" where a 57-year-old was given a 12-year sentence for anally raping an 8-year-old, after which was supposed to follow all sorts of harsher penalties against sex offenders. The sentence was actually handed down a year earlier, but the public didn't really find out until a TV show looked at it. Last fall the English-language press ran headlines like "Foreign Sex Offenders on Rise" and "More sex crimes committed by foreigners," with the Korea Times of course taking the opportunity to bring English teachers into it.

I don't want to start comparing "brutal sex crimes," so I'll just look at the sentences, a topic Gusts of Popular Feeling covered well last fall. Far worse than the "Na-young Incident" was the case out of Jeonju where the judge gave out suspended sentences to men who raped a disabled girl in the family over nine years. What's worse, the judge put the girl back in their custody, saying she had nowhere else to go. There was the case of a man found not guilty of molesting his step-daughter because he was drunk and merely showing affection, and there are plenty of stories of people getting reduced sentences to horrible crimes because they said they were under the influence.

There were a few articles like this in 2008, shortly after the Christopher Paul Neil arrest, with the press saying South Korea was prohibiting foreign sex offenders from entering the country, as if there were any risk of them doing so in the first place.
South Korea has banned the entry of 21 Americans convicted of sexually abusing children under 14.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security forwarded to the Ministry of Justice a list of 21 American child sex offenders known to travel frequently to Asian countries. The ministry immediately decided to permanently blacklist the offenders from entering Korea.

The U.S. has begun providing a list of child sex offenders to Asian nations such as Thailand in order to crack down on Americans traveling abroad for sex tourism. South Korea is among the nations receiving the list.

A ministry official said American sex offenders could commit sex crimes against children while teaching English at private institutes in Korea, so the moment the list was received all the offenders were banned.

Ah, yes, high-profile American sex offenders could commit sex crimes if they somehow get a passport, escaped detection by Korean immigration *cough*, and got jobs in Korea. Then again sex offenders could be working in the Ministry of Justice. Stories about the threat posed by foreign sex criminals appeared in four English-language papers back then.
The Chosun Ilbo closes today with:
Also, under the revisions foreigners who have been found guilty of committing sex crimes in Korea are subject to immediate deportation. According to officials, two people have already been deported as a result.

I wonder what the punishment was before.

The Korea Times has covered this, too, and did so with an enthusiasm we've come to expect from them. I've stolen this screen capture from keithinkorea:



This news got billing on Monday over a nasty story of Korean sex criminals at a church in Canada.

9 comments:

Stephannie said...

Thanks Brian for keeping this in the forefront & reminding us who the real pedos around us are.

Darth Babaganoosh said...

KOREA: Stopping the import of foreign pedos, while exporting their own.

1994 said...

Korea: Always keeping it real, right? Right? No?

Mr said...

God...I can't believe they'd twist things like that. Seriously, I lose hope living here when I read shit like this...

I hope that other countries will consider the same steps in reverse (after all, paedophiles and sex offenders from any country should lose their right to be able to travel elsewhere).

I wonder what will happen to those folks who have committed sex crimes back home and who have jobs here, even at Universities. For them, I feel no pity...

I agree with Stephannie: keep up the great work Brian.

lifer11 said...

All this time I thought I was a law abiding citizen in the republic. And now thanks to the stone clad words of the foreign journalists I am convinced I am a PEDO! I have after all travelled to Thailand...what more proof do I need?!

I also intend on leaving the repulic and keeping my grubby foreign hands off pure Korean women who are obviously reserved for Korean men who will look after and protect them from scum like me.

Nik Trapani said...

"The Ministry of Justice said Thursday it will revise immigration rules to ban foreigners found guilty of raping Korean children from re-entering Korea permanently."
So, wait... They didn't put them in jail the first time around? Seems odd.

Puffin Watch said...

The Toronto gang rape is getting weirder:

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/72881--two-women-facing-charges-in-connection-to-alleged-gang-sex-assaults

All were visa students. Hmmm. Are Canadians going to tighten up regulations on Korean religious leaders and visa students? Will there be candle protests? Will restaurants in Toronto hang signs saying "No Koreans"? Will students ask their teachers of Korean heritage "Teacher, are you a gang rapist?" I betcha not. What would happen if holders of a certain visa class did the same thing in Korea?

Check out the picture of that pastor. For a moment I thought it was a halmoni. But note the groovy elvis jump suit he appears to be wearing. Wonder if it's those "mother of god" people? You know the ones who will corner you and ask you if you know who the mother of god is and if you answer "mary" they want you to get in a van and take you some place to set you straight? I had a couple of them try to preach to me in the Finch subway station.

"Do you know the mother of god?"

"Oh, let me guess, it's not the virgin mary but an ajumma in Korea?"

*stunned silence*

I chuckled and walked away.

joji1909 said...

We can expect those alleged rapists in Canada to make their way here, along with their pastor. The Immigration Ministry has not decided if they should be presented with a welcome basket (of Korean made ddok, not that dodgy Chiense stuff) for escaping from persecution in barbarian lands

anastacia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.